Inside your course, click on the Assignments tab. Click on New Assignment.
Assignment Title - Enter the name of the assignment
Points Possible - Enter the total possible points for the assignment Check the box if you would like the students to see the total possible points.
Category – Select the category for the assignment if you have already created categories, e.g. Tests, Quizzes, Homework, etc. If you have not created categories and would like to use them, you can see how to do so in the Creating Categories section.
Rubric – Select the rubric for the assignment if you have one and you have already created rubrics. If you have not created rubrics and you would like to attach one, you can see how to do so in the Creating Rubrics section.
Due Date – Enter the due date for the assignment. Check the Show Due Date box if you would like the students to see the due date listed in the assignment heading. The assignment will show up in the calendar on the due date whether or not the box is checked.
Start Date – Enter the date the assignment becomes available for the students to see in their assignments section and on the calendar. This can be left blank if you would like the assignment to be made available immediately. Check the Show Start Date box if you would like the students to see the Start Date in the assignment heading.
End Date – Enter the date the assignment will no long be available to the students. You would use this if you would like the students to no longer have access to the assignment after this date. This can be left blank if you would like the assignment to remain available throughout the semester. Check the Show End Date box if you would like the students to see the End Date in the assignment heading.
Status - Select Active if you would like the assignment to become live. Select Disabled if you would like the assignment to not show up for the students.
Show Title Block – Select No if you would like to put your own stylized title in the Body section.
Body – Enter a description of the assignment here. You can leave this blank if the assignment is an attachment. You can include hyperlinks and use formatting styles in the description.
Use As Extra Credit – Select Yes if you would like this assignment to be calculated as extra credit either within that category or in the overall points. (If a student earns the total number of points for the extra credit assignment, the student's final grade will be increased by 1%. If you would like it to be worth 2%, you can give a student 10 points for an assignment with a total points of 5 or for 3%, 15 points for an assignment with a total points of 5).
Use in Cumulative Grade Calculation – Select No if you would not like the grade for this assignment to enter into the cumulative grade calculation. The student will see a grade for the assignment but it will not affect the cumulative grade.
Order – Enter a number here if you do not want the assignments to be ordered by due dates.
File Attachment(s) – You can attach a document or a video here. The size limit is 50 megabytes.
Show Attachment List – Select No if you have attachments that are not to be accessed by the students as an attachment. For examples, if an attachment has its link in the Body section.
Attached File Goes to Stand-Alone Page – If you would like the attached file to go to a different tab in the browser, put the name of the attachment in this box. You can only use pdfs and image files.
Attached File Goes to Popup Window – If you would like the attached file to go to a popup window, put the name of the attachment in this box. The window will popup on top of the browser page. You can only use pdfs and image files.
Display Width, Display Height – Enter the desired pixels if you would like to change the size of the attachment in the popup window.
Redirect to URL – Enter a web page address if you would like the student to be redirected to another web page.
Opens New Tab – Select Yes if you would like the web page to open up in a new tab rather than replacing the current page.
Save - Be sure to save all changes.